Friday, June 24, 2005

MUMBAI ahoy! - Far from the maddening crowd?

My experiences as a helpless commuter in aamchi Mumbai.
For those who have been in this city for some time in their life, you'll know the perspective.
:-)

Chuchgate Railway Station, Mumbai
Monday (yet another office-day) 8:50 AM


As I got down from the overstuffed compartment and set my feet on the Churchgate platform #2, there was a sense of exhilaration - mission accomplished (for the day)! I had successfully managed to board a 8:15 Churchgate fast from Andheri without getting my shirt and glasses too much out-of-place, and had managed to get down at my destination still in one piece – a rare feat indeed. Did someone say, practice makes a man perfect?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com


I look around, and i see another train coming into the adjoining platform. It stops and eeks out thousands of commuters from its 'belly' into the platform beside. This made the otherwise broad walk-way a real difficult stretch to pass.

And I walked.

Around me were faces - thousands, probably millions of them, walking in the same direction towards the exit, as expressionless as one could get - no different from robots, functionally programmed to go through this task on a daily basis. Each one eager to reach the target - the subway that would lead them out of this gigantic railway-station!

As everyday, I wished for some miracle that could get me 'Far from the Maddening Crowd'!

I remember my mother telling me years ago that I was 'one in a million'! Looking around the millions of 'robots' walking beside me, I do realize that she was right....
:-)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 comments:

wacky-weird-woman said...

I liked that one-in-a-million part...All mothers think that their kids are some prodigy...as a kid one believes too...perhaps...'I am Da Best'...only to realize some 25 or so free rides round the sun the paradox that the phrase offers...

Kaps said...

Rightly said! Seems everyone of else goes through this.... But ya, at the end of the day, you are what you are... !