Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Mangal Mangal !!

So we decided to watch Mangal Pandey, The Rising on this 15th August and made advance arrangements (read, bookings) to this plan.

On D-Day, as I was stuck up in the office campus (a good 15 km away from the main city) the company bus was the only option to travel to the destination. I sat in the 5:25 bus, profusely praying that I could reach in time for the 6:30 show, hoping that God, the company bus, and the scant Sunday traffic of Bangalore (not necesarily in that order) would be kind on me and ensure I was not late. Huh.. talk of wishful thinking...

My mind kept hurriedly pondering on Just-in-Time methods of Toyota Corp.

Murphy's law: No matter how much efforts you waste on JIT, you'll turn up late 97% of the times.

Corollary: Even if you don't do JIT and start well in advance, you will STILL turn up late.

But I am digressing, this was supposed to be my few cents on the hype over Mangal Pandey.

Did I enjoy it? Yes and no.
In fact I actually convinced myself it was a good movie after spending 250 bucks (travel included) on it.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Here goes:

Agreed Aamir is a perfectionist, but lets be realistic, he doesn't really come across as the magnificent screen persona that could do justice to the hype built across the film. His jet-black moustache, long mane and a built up body, do play a part in showing him as the macho Pandey, but he really lacks that height, that voice, to come across as the one man who (arguably) incited the whole nation to the 1st Freedom Struggle!

Hmm, so Aamir falls 'short' of delivering the hype... (pun very much intended!)

As for the others,

  • The firang guy Toby Stephens is too good. Loved him!
  • Rani showed exuberance, but a confused character.
  • And what to say about Ms. Amisha Patel. A quick piece of portrayal - imagine yourself in the best of moods, walking by and you accidently step upon a huge mound of fresh cow-dung - capture the look on your face at that very moment - YES, thats the expression this lady has THROUGHOUT the movie. :-
  • Om Puri as the unseen narrator is WORLD CLASS! Now thats what I call a voice that commands immediate respect and admiration.

I was disappointed by A R Rehman, but the classy rendetion of Mangal Mangal by Kailash Kher (Allah ke Bande) is a masterpiece! It soothes, it haunts, it heartens, it brings goosebumps….

The story has lots of inconsistencies, but would give it to Ketan Mehta for coming out with a damn good try as this. Its not another Lagaan, cos it was never meant to be one! Though the editing is not slick, the scenes are admittedly well shot, and the look-and -feel of 19th century rural India is excellently depicted.

So what if I left the screen with a funny feeling and a confusion over the abrupt ending, I still was happy having images of 1857 &-the-works in my mind - and the feeling of a 15th August evening well-spent. :-)

The movie-buff in me says its an ok-ish film. The MBA in me says its a huge risk (in spite of huge opening collections) because it might not even allow Mr. Mehta recover his over-ambitious investments (read Rs.40 Cr.)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice Review!